The Montessori method is an educational approach developed by an Italian physician and educator Maria Montessori. It is based on the developmental characteristics and needs of the child in his plane of development.
Montessori education is characterised by an emphasis on independence, freedom within limits and respect for a child’s natural psychological development, and prepares him to take on the technological advancements in society.
- Classrooms of mixed ages with children between 2 ½ to 6 years.
- Uninterrupted blocks of work time.
- Students choice of activity from within a prescribed range.
- A discovery model, where students learn concepts from working with materials, rather than by directed instruction.
- Specialised educational materials developed by Montessori and her collaborators.
Age and Classes : Children enter the primary upon completion of 2 years and 6 months of age and must complete 6 years to enter the elementary in June. They work in a mixed age group Classrooms.
Time Table: The children follow a three hour work-cycle in the morning followed by an hour’s lunch break and a two hour work cycle post lunch.
Calendar:The academic year from June to April is divided into three terms. Each term is interspersed with a vacation after its completion. Aalaya follows a five day week, Monday to Friday.
- 1. Exercises of practical life: Lead children to the gain motor co-ordination, independence in care for oneself and one’s environment, manners and social behaviour.
- 2. Sensorial activities: Develop consciousness and refinement of movement and senses. This lays the foundation for intelligent exploration of the environment and abstraction.
- 3. Language: Development of spoken language, enrichment of vocabulary and perfectionment of pronounciations, preparation for and acquisition of writing and reading. We offer language with phonetics.
- 4. Arithmetic: Understanding of numbers and its applications in arithmetical operations.
- 5.Other activities: Singing, Drawing, Painting, Handicrafts, etc.
Our classroom has a busy, protective atmosphere where joy and respect abound. Within such an enriched environment, freedom, responsibility, social and intellectual development spontaneously flourish!.
The room is attractive, with many carefully designed materials and activities for the children to choose from. The children are free to engage themselves in activities that interest them.
All furniture and equipments are made to the child’s size.